Sunday, November 1, 2009

Bend it like Alex P.Thazhamon

The son will tell you that no conversation on football goes anywhere without fat Momma mentioning Alex P.Thazhamon. Alex was my classmate during the last three years of school and captain of the school football team, Kendriya Vidyalaya - Port Trust. And if memory serves me right, he also played with the big guns on the Cochin Port Trust Football team. A champion and an athlete to the core he was also very aggressive in any sport that he played; and he played to win. This made him quite a hero in school, not to mention the couple of hundred thousand crushes and broken hearts that he was the root cause of.

But all those who knew us will tell you that Alex and I had an unreasonable mutual hate society going. I don’t know what Alex’s reasons were. But after all these years, I finally figured out the “why” from my end. For me it was the fact that Mom considered him a good boy. A good sportsman and footballer and the blah, blah, blah!! Talk about irony. Of all the guys in my class, Mom liked the guy who picked on me for no reason that I could fathom! And when you are sixteen that is just not done. It was like mutiny at home! At some seminal level I probably felt that Mom wished that he was her son instead of me being the daughter. Totally, irrational and unjustified, I know. But that my friend is the whole truth. The days when Mom and I had the most turbulent times in our relationship, were the times when this feeling assumed monstrous proportions!!

Historically the mother-daughter relationship has always been one bumpy ride. All hell can break loose when they do not see eye to eye. And despite the few breaks in between, the tradition continues from generation to generation in most homes. There is always some amount of bickering. But this really took the cake for me. Could she not see that he was mean to me? He was constantly teasing me and making me miserable. Did the reports of this rift not mean anything to her? Any other girl in my place would probably have given up school, cried buckets and got daddy dearest to meet the Principal. Highly dramatic I know but for sure it is true. It was thick skinned me who behaved as if it was water off a duck’s back and stood my ground.

Coming back to Mom who heaped praises on Alex. Could she not have picked K.J.Antony who by far was the most even tempered guy? With his cute dimples and an ever smiling face, he was a church goer to boot. In all the three years that we studied under that asbestos roof, KJ lost his cool only once. It took every one in class by surprise and caused a major stir. I still remember that murderous look on his face and still find it hard to believe that it was dear good-humoured KJ.

That Deep Pande was IIT material and the favourite of the parent’s collective of the school was a given. So no issues there for lesser mortals like me. I knew my place under the academic sun. References to him were made from time to time by the old lady but they did not give rise to bile. Or thoughts of murder for that matter!!

I could list the entire class here. But will save it for another story. Writing all this down has been quite cathartic. I am glad I lived through it all and it is out of the way.

Yet, despite all that negativity, I really cared for Alex as I did for the others in my class. I rooted for him, cried myself hoarse and cheered him on when he was on the field. As he did for me. Despite all that anger and resentment, I know he watched out for me and wished me well. Go ahead, call me biased or whatever, I still think he is leagues ahead of the current crop of footballers, anywhere in the world!

And it looks like this sport and memories of those times gone by will have me in a bind for kingdom come. My son is a crazy football fanatic and a Chelsea supporter. It goes without saying that he has turned me into one too. My older daughter plays football in school. The toddler, all of two and a half, too seems to have the knack for it, along with the style and the chutzpah of my champion friend!! The son is a major influence on the girls and the three of them spend a considerable amount of time kicking a ball around. For all you know my girls are probably going to do a “Bend it like Beckham” on me!!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

very nice..going down memory lane...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Muthamma said...

Thank you PN. I love receiving comments and feedback. It encourages me to write and to keep at it.....

MingBlogging said...

wow! that is a fantastic piece! you have it in you to pen down a book...you just need to apply yourself

Muthu said...

Awwww....Parag!! Thanks a ton. It means a lot. Regarding the book, LOL - I think it is a bit over the top. Do not have the talent or the discipline.....

Varsha said...

Hey Muts,

You write like a dream:).

Some revelations though - for some reason, I didn't know this trauma existed between you and Alex. But then I didn't know we studied under an asbestos roof, either! As we have established, I really don't remember much, do I?! Well, thanks to you, there's half a chance that some precious memories might come flooding back:) Cheers V

C Looney said...

Hi,

Unbelievable...u write soooo well. The pain was alwys there 4 all 2 c. its just that its manifestation hs tkn my breath away. A gr8 catharsis Muths......Al d best

Muthu said...

Thank you C Looney...Do we know each other? It seems like you were there at the time when I was going through this phase....

C Looney said...

Hi,

Hllo do u knw me? I dnt think so .....Im still luking 4 myself. But lyk Bono wud say....I have run, I have #$@d, I have scaled city walls (!!!).... bt I Stil hvnt found wat Im luking 4 (lev alone myself). So whts new these days ..still wild as the Coorgi wind ....or mellowed down Malabari Mulgi...Bet u still pack a mean punch. Ur lyk vintage wine ..jst gtting better wd tym. Cancerians are alwys so underrated...myb coz they r so soppy in their formative years( which extend to their 20s)...
Chaio
BTW its Clooney !!!

Indira Balaji said...

Beautiful post, Muths. I love reading school anecdotes and the fact that I can actually visualize you and Aunty sparring makes it all the more lovely :) Keep writing.

How we hated comparison when young and how we tend to indulge in it as mothers!

Muthu said...

Clooney....now I am well and truly intrigued. Never mind. Will delude myself into thinking that it is George Clooney. Eat your hearts out all ya girls. Denzel is my drool factor though!!

Muthu said...

Indu...your feedback means a lot more than I will ever let on!! Though I have not gotten to the comparing bit yet where my kids are concerned, I subject them to a lot of stuff that Mom did and I hated as a kid. The worst part is that I swore never to do it myself.

Jiji M John said...

You are a wordsmith, lady. Do keep it up and someday you will get published. You have it in you!

Muthu said...

Oh my God....that is quite a compliment. Truly humbled Jiji. Thank you. Don't know about getting published but hope to keep writing. Please keep reading.....