Monday, June 14, 2010

Happy Birthday, Mommy!!





Ma,
We share a rather tempestuous relationship
You and I.
I seem to do no right
And we hit the rough notes
Often enough
But this I know
That no matter what
You have always been there

In private
You berate me often enough
I will be hitting forty
A couple of birthdays down
But it takes just a glance
From you
To send me packing to four!!

Yet
There could not have been
A more ferocious
Tigress with a cub
Or a Grizzly with hers
It has not been easy for you
Raising me
But you have stood by me
Rock solid
No matter what

It was tough
Facing the odds
That were stacked
Against you
You bore all the pain
Sacrifice came easy to you
For my sake.....

Saying I don’t
Want to be like you
Is perhaps nothing
Just a reflection
Of my own inadequacies
And the insecurity that gnaws
Telling me that I cannot be
Half the mother you were
And continue to be

Love you Ma,
Wish you a very
Happy Birthday

8 comments:

Tulsi Achia said...

Lovely. Touching to read it and see these pics. Yeah...she is a tigress!

Kusum Achia said...

wow...nice muthu.. did you read it to her?
yes, may be the cub that you are...she has to be a tigress!
all the more impressive your poem is,
now that the cub is mother of two!
another tigress in the making...!
very touching.. and apt...!

Pravs said...

It's really very touching and well written :) good wishes to aunty.

sumitha said...

Grr and snarl....the daughter would understand the lingo..good you wrote it.

Muthu said...

Tulsacs....thanks re. Writing it was quite cathartic...

Muthu said...

Bojawa - thank you. Love you for taking time to read my blog and commenting as well. I showed it to Mom but she did not read it....just looked at the pictures....

Muthu said...

Thank you Pravs....conveyed your wishes....

Muthu said...

Sumi....maybe someday the daughters of this daughter may also write this......