Saturday, July 14, 2012

Virtue

I wonder if they teach us
To be ashamed of
Our libidos
So they can tear us apart
Limb on limb
Like beasts on a rampage
And devour the very essence
Of the innocence
That was once us

I wonder if they teach us
That there is virtue
In covering up in order that
They may rip open
The very fabric of dignity
To shame us.....

So what happens,
If I stopped believing
In being virtuous?
I guess I would have
The most powerful weapon -
Of knowing no fear and no shame!!
And the fool that I am,
I allow them access
To the inner recesses of my space
Empowered thus, I imprison my mind
And thereby keep myself from possessing it.......

11 comments:

Kusum Achia said...

very effective, specially the words,
cover of virtue, to rip it open,
evoking the anger already within me!

Meena said...

Could feel the anger in your words, Muthu! Great writing:)

Meena said...

Great writing, Muthu!

anita said...

Powerful evocation-and precise expression of what we do to remain within social constructs of what is virtue.. bravo! loved it..spoke to me and my feelings!

Hemjit Bharathan said...

Emotionally charged, soul searching and heartwrenching.

Life deals cruel blows on us sometimes But let each blow make us more powerful to fight the injustice and brutality.

Undaunted lets move forward...

Muthu said...

Bojawa....thank you. There is deep pain in those lines and anger is a given

Muthu said...

Thank you Meena Edathy....have invested a lot of myself in it. And believe in every word I have written....especially on having no shame and the power that comes of it!!

Muthu said...

Anita.....we speak the same language. I always encourage women to do away with the "headaches", set fire to the diva within and demand orgasms!!

Muthu said...

Thank you, Hemjit!! Life deals us the cards....we choose how we play them.

Anonymous said...

In not being bound by someone else's opinion or to live up to their ideas lies freedom in the mind. Beautiful line - the most powerful weapon, of knowing no fear and no shame. Vagabondspirit.

Muthu said...

Anonymous - thank you. I have always believed that the toughest task in the journey of life is to set the mind free. It has to be a constant endeavour!! Thank you for writing in...truly encouraged to write more often!!