Sunday, July 27, 2008

I Did Nothing Today

Suchi this is for you – a tribute to the weekly checklist you put up

I saw this on the notice board at Aarzoo’s school – Little Feat. I just loved it and requested the Admin Officer at the school to give me a copy and she did. Thank you Ma’am. I wanted to share this with everyone and hence the entry in my blog. In a way, I feel it does hold true for all of us……….

I Did Nothing Today

When children come home at the end of the day

The question they’re asked as they run out to play

Is “Tell me, what did you do today?”

And the answer they give makes you sigh with dismay

“Nothing. I did nothing today!”

Perhaps “Nothing” means that I read a book,

Or….with a directress I got to cook.

Maybe I painted a picture of blue,

Or heard a story about a mouse that flew.

Maybe I wrote in my journal myself,

Or found a great book on the library shelf.

Maybe I helped a friend today,

Or went to my favourite area alone,

Maybe today was the very first time,

That my scissors followed a very straight line,

Maybe I sang a song right to the end,

Or worked with a special brand new friend.

When you’re three, four, or five your heart has wings

And “nothing” can mean so many things

I have no idea who wrote this gem. But whoever did was a very keen observer and may be a teacher. However, I think that this is true for anybody whatever their age. There have been times when I have come home after a long day at the office and felt that I had not done anything. But if I were to list out the things that I had done that day, I am sure I would have quite a long one, which may include –

- chatting with a friend who is feeling blue

- thinking, strategizing and drafting a proposal

- making those calls which could clear paths or create new obstacles

- tearing my hair out

- taking a break and actually doing nothing


Thank you Suchi, for putting out that list. Like I said, this one is for you………….

In case you are wondering who is Suchi; check out http://suchismita-wwwsuchsimita.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

KitchenKarma said...

what a lovely poem muthu...truly...simple yet makes so much sense...sometimes when i read such stuff i feel so frustrated cos i cant write like that...
u know what after two weeks of what i did last week, this week i have skipped it so far...let me do it now :)

Muthu said...

Suchi....its good that you feel frustrated for it will keep nudging you to better your self. And hey sweet of you to go ahead and write the list despite the fact that you were through with that.....I had no idea

KitchenKarma said...

i am through with things in 2 secs/2 mins/2 days/2 weeks....so i need someone to keep me on track...thankd for doing that job...though i must say u did it so beautifully...my mom usually screams her head off at me :) miss my mom while writing this....today is a total senti day i tell u....

Muthu said...

I can see that......but its nice to be senti. Goes to show that you are in touch with your softer and better self