Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A Footballer and A Legend

Danny Varghese was my junior in school; by three to four years, I think. I went to quite a few schools thanks to my old man and so have to specifically mention that school in this instance refers to KV Port Trust, Cochin. I remember Danny as a footballer and a cute guy; very cute with a curly mop on his head. If memory serves me right, he played on the school team as well.

Danny was more interested in football than in the Chemistry classes and therefore preferred the hospitality industry over pharmaceuticals. I don’t quite know how the two or rather three add up. But that is his story. He quit the B.Pharm course he enrolled in and opted for a Bachelor’s Degree in Hotel Management. He started his career as a Restaurateur, which unfortunately was cut short by a major accident. Not to let these “little incidents” deter him, the champ set up a medical transcription firm. He invited me to his wedding, which I could not attend. Unfortunate for me.

I remember him as a delightful young boy with an ever smiling disposition. A few years ago he sent me this beautiful story with an awe inspiring lesson.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ONE PARAGRAPH THAT EXPLAINS LIFE

Arthur Ashe, the legendary Wimbledon player was dying of AIDS which he got due to infected blood he received during a heart surgery in 1983. From world over, he received letters from his fans, one of which conveyed: "Why does GOD have to select you for such a bad disease"?

To this Arthur Ashe replied: The world over -- 5 million children start playing tennis, 50 thousand learn to play tennis, 5 thousand learn professional tennis, 50,000 come to the circuit, 5000 reach the grand slam, 50 reach Wimbledon , 4 to semi final, 2 to the finals, When I was holding a cup I never asked GOD "Why me?". And today in pain I should not be asking GOD "Why me?"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I came upon it a couple of days ago while going through my old mails. I guess it says a lot about Dan’s outlook to life as it did of the great legend Arthur Ashe. So this is my tribute to you Dan, for overcoming the odds and beating them down.

And yes I try to remember this little message you sent me.

Happiness keeps you Sweet,
Trials keep you Strong,
Sorrow keeps you Human,
Failure keeps you Humble,
Success keeps you Glowing,
But only God keeps you Going.....

Keep Going.....

Cheers to you Danny Varghese.

I finally figured why I don’t go all ga-ga over the so called heroes. It’s because I went to school (and college) with them. And now there are heroes in my life that I have the good fortune to be working with. People who put their lives on the line for what they believe in.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ya, you are right about Dani..He is a hero. I am a person who hero worship him...Now you must be wondering who I am...Well I am his better half, his wife...I felt so happy going through your blog...

Muthu said...

Hi Dhanya....lovely to have your response to what I wrote. Hope you keep reading what I write and give me your feedback. It would mean a lot to me and keep me going....Love & hugs....

Cherry said...

Hi Muthamma,

But for the stupid way India sports is promoted Dani would have been a Indian Player by now. He sure had talent. I am really happy to see you write about my best buddy.

Cheers Cherian

Muthu said...

Agree with you about him playing for India, Cherian. Also believe this about my classmate Alex. Good to be in touch with my juniors from school. Keep in touch.