Monday, October 19, 2009

We Didn't Start The Fire

Title Copyright - Billy Joel...

Mathew Jacob was my classmate in College. He would always start the day with a rendition of "We Didn't Start The Fire" replete with drumming the table and head banging and foot stomping. Turned it into some sort of an anthem during my undergrad days. Sat right behind me and hummed even when we had some time between classes and in the breaks. And no, unlike what it sounds there was no romance budding!! He just sat behind me in the most uncomfortable seating arrangements there ever were.

Today I just have to listen to the song and Mathew comes hurtling out of the recesses of memory. With all the accompanying images. Sorry Billy Joel. Mathew made me forget it was you who sang it originally and it was almost the same with that song about the Nile. Sue him on copyright issues....LOL!

And then there comes Anita Iyer...who a while ago did such a brilliant parody that I just had to share her version of the lyrics. Billy I am sure you will approve. True artiste that you are. But of course you will have to appreciate it in the Indian context as well. Anita is a colleague in the Disability Sector and we have never met but are friends on the phone and have some idea of one another thanks to Facebook. And thank you very much Mark Zuchenburg.

Here is Anita's version that was her status message on Facebook. I so loved it that I had to copy it. Have her gracious permission to do so.....

We didn't start the fire...

Obama ko Nobel, Amitabh ko doctorate,
Sharukh Khan - black belt..Rakhi Sawant finds a mate

Akshay Kumar fly in soup...A R Rehman and his troupe
Thackray, Johar, everyone is in the loop...

Saas bahu saw its end, reality sets a trend
little kids - big talk...stop driving us round the bend...

chorus!!

Have a good laugh folks. I am sure you will agree it is indeed very apt.

Dedicated to new friend Anita Iyer for bringing it on and to old pal Mathew Jacob for the ample supply of happy memories. Priceless!!

6 comments:

A.I. said...

Awww..too much! Thanks !

I used to drum on my desk everyday too..My pal who sat on the bench ahead of me in school and listened to my humming/drumming is on my facebook pal list...:)))
Maybe the four of us should meet and jam one day!

Muthu said...

Anita....thank you. I remember drumming the desk in school too. Wonder what will Mathew's reaction be. LOL.....And yes I agree about the jamming. Never forget the child in us....

Unknown said...

Wow.. Muths..I am touched.. Really took me back to those crammed wooden benches!! It had those bugs which left you scratching everything by the time the lectures wound up!! And also the funny thing is I just got my fire started after all these years of rubbing the rocks together...

Muthu said...

Mathew - LOL. Never knew about the bugs. And delighted to hear that you got the fire going...About time laddie, about time!!

Hemjit Bharathan said...

Relationships formed during during student days have an aura of innocence and and shall be enmeshed is us always. Enjoyed it Muthu.

Muthu said...

Thanks Hemjit....you are right. It means a lot to me that you are taking time off to read what I have written.